3/14/2009

Marriage: What God Knew All Along

I have seen this passage a few times, but upon reading it and thinking about it for a bit, I believe God showed some angles that I wasn't paying attention to, but are quite fascinating and comforting.

Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to marry. But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband. The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. I say this as a concession, not as a command. I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.
Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
-I Corinthians 7:1-9
Marriage takes on a greater meaning when we examine this carefully. Marriage is a sacrament ordained by God. Modern society has devalued marriage to the nature of a light switch - on again, off again at a whim. It is so much more. We think we orchestrate marriage - no, it is God who ordains it, makes it possible and arranges it to accommodate our needs. If we break what God has brought together, we put ourselves in a position greater than God - that is sacrilegious and unacceptable. I can't thank God enough for providing me with someone who, in the truest sense of the word, completes me.

But, delving further into marriage, examining the I Corinthians passage, we see how God really knew our needs and addressed them through marriage. Here's how I interpret it (correct me if I'm wrong):
In an ideal world (without sin), there would be no need for marriage, because man would have full reliance on God and would seek no other for satisfaction of needs. Yet, after the fall of man, man wanted to rely on himself and others to be fully satisfied. These urges are so strong and, if it were up to us, we would go to anyone and then someone else to find satisfaction. In light of this, God says, "Listen, I know what your urges and desires are (of the flesh). Here's what I'll do: I will provide you with someone who you can devote yourself to and this person will be yours forever. Two shall become one. I would rather you find satisfaction with this person alone whom I have provided than with multiple sources." Recall in the previous chapter that Paul says, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body" (I Corinthians 6:19-20). God does not want you to use what is His for your own pleasures and pollution; find your satisfaction in someone who God knows is compatible with you, your body and your needs.

Because we lack self-control, God wants us to come together with our marital partner and not deprive ourselves of each other. The institution of marriage is our release; the love flowing between those married (a product of God's love for us) naturally accentuates the satisfaction of desires, keeping our God-given bodies pure. If we do not see married life in that light, then we yearn to satisfy our desires elsewhere outside of marriage and that's when Satan's power becomes greatest and most persuasive, corrupting what God has given to us as a gift. That's when the seductions of the world can bring our lives to ruin. If those types of passions burn within us, God wants us to marry so that we have an avenue to take care of those needs. With those needs addressed, our time communing with God in devotion and prayer becomes focused and unadulterated. Paul calls it a "concession," not a "command" - there are those who can control these desires, like Paul himself. But God says that it is okay if you cannot - God has provided you the avenue of marriage to express your love and passion for another.

Upon this reflection, I am just so amazed at God and His Word. When you meditate and dedicate time to Him, He reveals truths for an abundant life. Why do people look elsewhere? God is the Source of everything - He is your Everything. God says that whatever you need Me to be, come to Me, rely on Me and realize that, "I AM WHO I AM" (Exodus 3:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment